Sunday, May 05, 2024

Material Poetry: a presentation for the Puyallup Quilt Guild

manitowaning bay in the morning 

The strongest inspiration is my daily view of sky and water. 

prayer to the sky a 2020

I hand stitch all my quilts.  It is my favourite part.   

I use both sides of my quilts. 

prayer to the sky b 2020 


lamentation 2022

Entirely hand stitched, even the small squares in this green quilt were sewn by hand.  The red circles were hand embroidered into the piece after the quilting was finished.  

the good and the true 2022

My style has evolved over the 50 years I've been making quilts. 

Newer pieces have a feeling of empty space.  

dear earth 2018

Circles, spirals, crosses, and dots are human marks, understood by everyone, a common language from all cultures around the globe and through time from pre-history to the present.  

help me to balance 2018

I often use old domestic textiles such as flannel sheets, tablecloths, and wool blankets.  And red thread.  I use red thread a lot.   

inner world 2022
inner inner world  2022

You will also notice a horizon in most of my pieces.  


On May 1, 2024 Judy Martin was the guest speaker for the Puyallup Quilt guild in Washington state, USA.  She showed her recent work in quilts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment