Monday, January 31, 2022

You tube video of opening artist talk: Penny Berens, Judy Martin In the Middle of the World


Judy Martin and Penny Berens speak about how their work is inspired by their rural environments in this You tube video produced by the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum.  The talk was produced during a live zoom event on September 29 2021 before the exhibition opened.  

The exhibition, 'In the Middle of the World' showed at the museum October 2 - December 18, 2021.  

Miranda Bouchard, guest curator, worked with Penny and Judy while they prepared work for the show and provides an introduction in the video.  While she is speaking, you can see the installation happening with a time-lapse recording.  Judy speaks next for 15 minutes and shows images of her inspiring view across Manitowaning Bay and then Penny speaks about her deep observing of nature.  At the end of the video there is a lengthy question and answer period extending the whole thing to nearly one and a half hours.  Thank you to Ryan Milton at the MVTM for helping to produce this video. 

Here's another link to the same full video on youtube.  

To see Judy's 15 minute section only on vimeo, click here.  

A second artist talk with Miranda, Penny and Judy happened as a closing celebration on December 18, 2021.  It was recorded, and hopefully the video will be available soon.  

2 comments:

  1. I watched this last night for the first time and loved it. It is so interesting to listen to you talk about how you stand back with the help of the design wall and realise how I don't do that. I don't allow myself the space that gives to see. To really be with the work. I jump in there and stitch with need and love and want, and squeeze my creative moments and making into tight time scales between responsibilities, and the act of standing back and looking at what I am making gets left out. My work is too intense and tight, because I don't stand back and give it the space and attention it and I need. This is a deep learning from you both and I thank you for your sharing and for the work you so beautifully create heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Audrey. Thank you for this beautiful comment about standing back and giving yourself space and time to understand what's going on in your own work. I hope that all is well with you xoxo

      Delete